Tuesday, June 25, 2013

What are you reading?

It's Tuesday and one of my favorite things in life is the joy of reading. 

So I thought, hey why not update you guys on my latest reads for this year and maybe you'll find something to spark you interest.

Ugg, movie adaptation covers. The husband bugged me for over a year to give this book a try. I'm not the biggest King fan. But I gave in finally and gave it a go. The book is set in '60s and follow a few different story lines that all interconnect through the characters. Over all, good. Strange, but hey it's Stephen King so one should expect that. This is not horror genre strange, just at times mystical strange, but then again the other story lines are just normal life.









A set of books that will be a trilogy by Veronica Roth. It feed my post Hunger Games blues. It's YA (young adult), dystopian (I love dystopians) and awesome! The 3rd one doesn't come out until November though. Basically, there is one heroine that is in a dystopian world where everyone lives in 1 of the 5 factions that are governed by different principals. Generally each person at selection time picks the faction they were tested highest in, but our heroine is....divergent. And it's time to shake this world down to it's core and crack open some secrets. Whoo.
I've read Margaret Atwood's book, The Handmaid's Tale, previously and really like it. It was another dystopian. So, when Borders was going out of the business I snapped this one up for a bargain price. Unfortunately, I pretty much had to power through this one. Not at all fond of it. It's about an eccentric artist that is reminiscing about her past and coming to terms with who she is now. Still, I like the author, so I'm putting it on here just to say enough though this book was meh, Atwood is still good. 

 Yay for zombies. They are everywhere, so of course I had to get in on the fun and read a book about something zombie related. I enjoyed it too. It's actually a series of 'personal accounts' from the zombie infestation of the world. The accounts are in chronological order so you get to see the progression of the infestation. I know they adapted this book into a movie and I'm kind of hesitant to see it since they turned it into just one long story line. I really liked the way the book was set up into mini-personal accounts.




I loved this book. I will definitely be rereading this book in the future. The atmosphere of this book was just so rich and wonderful.  
"The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.
This is the circus that is the backdrop to the magical duel going on between two contestants who don't know the rules of the game and everyone is involved whatever they know it or not.



Any books you guys have read that I just must try out?

Currently I'm reading The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. A little return to the high fantasy, epic novels of former days. I haven't read much of them lately, but they are one of my favorites.













No comments:

Post a Comment